The 2018 Tax Season for Individuals opened on 1 July 2018. Deadlines are as follows:
Type of Taxpayer
Manual – post or at SARS branch
21 September 2018
Non-provisional and provisional
eFiling or electronic filing at SARS branch
31 October 2018
31 January 2019
Who is a Provisional Taxpayer?
Any person who receives income (or to whom income accrues) other than a salary, is a provisional taxpayer. Most salary earners are therefore non-provisional taxpayers, if they have no other sources of income. It is important to note that receiving exempt income, as follows, does not make you a provisional taxpayer:
- If you receive interest of less than R23 800 if you are under 65 or;
- If you receive interest of less than R34 500 if you are 65 and older or;
- You have income in a tax-free savings account.
Don’t file if you don’t need to
You do not need to submit a return if ALL the criteria below apply to you:
- Your total employment income / salary for the year (March 2017 to February 2018) before tax (gross income) was not more than R350 000; and
- You only received employment income / salary for the full year of assessment (March 2017 to February 2018) from one employer; and
- You have no car allowance/company car/ travel allowance or other income (e.g. interest or rental income); and
- You are not claiming tax related deductions/rebates (e.g. medical expenses, retirement annuity contributions other
- than pension contributions made by your employer, travel).
Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us for professional advice